Thursday, September 22, 2005

Memories

Today I scrapbooked with a group of women at Treitsch. I have two words. "Free Childcare." for 3 1/2 hours!!! I couldn't believe it. It was so fabulous to drop the kids off and go have some grown-up time without having to bother John to "watch the kids". I got all organized. Whew. I even got two pages finished. But you should see some of these women's scrapbooks. I'm talking ribbon, metal embellishments, tags, paper galore. It looked way too stressful to me to have to buy all those things. I'll stick with my paper and stickers.

Jack had his first day of kindergarten yesterday. Of course I took pictures and I didn't even cry one bit. He chose to wear his green uniform shirt for the first day of school. Gosh, he was just so big. When I picked him up, one of the teachers opened the door and he just climbed right in! I couldn't even believe how easy it was. It was about a zillion degrees outside and when he got in, the first thing he said was, "whew!!!". And then he talked my ear off about Octopuses all the way home!!! The letter of the day was "O" and Mrs. McMullin read a book about octopuses and so is born a new obsession. "Mommy, did you know that octopuses have a mouth underneath them? Mommy, did you know that an octopus has suction cups on its tenticles? Mommy, did you know that when an octopus feels threatened it stretches out its arms??" Oh my, what an education. So, Jack loved school. Even though he was a little worried about being gone all day. On the way home, he said, "Mommy, was that all day?" When I replied, "Yes, honey, it was! Can you believe it?" He said, "Well, how many hours was I there?" "Seven," I replied. He said, "But a day has 24 hours! That wasn't a whole day!" Then I realized that he must have thought that Kindergarten was a morning till night kind of thing. He has heard me talk about "all-day kindergarten vs. half-day kindergarten". Geez, no wonder the kid had a bit of anxiety. He probably thought he was going to have to sleep at school!!!

No comments: