Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Who's In Charge Here, Anyway?

From the time our kids are about two years old, until they are about five, it seems, we spend a lot of time reinforcing who is (and who isn't) in charge.

When Jack was about three, we had been saying (a lot), "You are not in charge."

One day at the table, he said, "Grammy's in charge, and PawPaw's in charge, and Daddy's in charge, and Mommy's in charge. I ... am NOT in charge." We laughed and laughed and still say that to each other and to him.

So now Charlotte and Mitchell think that they are in charge all too often and we've taken to reinforcing with them that "You are not in charge".

The other day, Charlotte and John were sitting on the couch having some sort of serious discussion and he said to her, "You are not in charge." Without missing a beat, she fired right back, "You aw not in chodge, eedah." Oh dear, we still have some work to do. We had to hide our faces while we cracked up.

This morning, I went to turn on a show for her in my bedroom and we were laying on my bed "chatting". She started getting all bossy on me, so I reminded her, "You are not in charge." She quickly replied, "I not in chodge. I just tawkin'!"

What a mess.


3 comments:

Betty and Mickey said...

A mess, but a sweet baby girlfriend mess!

Leandra said...

LOL! We've been saying a lot of similar sorts of things at our house recently, too! Bubba is constantly saying, "Punkin, I'm the boss of you, Mommy is the boss of me, and Daddy is the boss of Mommy!" Riiiight.

Leandra said...

BTW, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! :)